Sunday, February 2, 2014

Potential


"You are literally a daughter of the Almighty. There is no limit to your potential. If you will take control of your lives, the future is filled with opportunity and gladness. You cannot afford to waste your talents or your time. Great opportunities lie ahead of you. I promise you that your [life] will be fruitful, that your happiness will be great, and that your accomplishments will be tremendous and satisfying in every respect. "

-President Gordon B. Hinckley

I was going through some old files on my computer the other day and I came across this quote. I have kept it pulled up on the desktop for a couple weeks now and have read it often. Here are some of my thoughts about potential. 

Every Sunday for 8 years I stood up and recited "I am a Child of God. I know Heavenly Father loves me and I love Him..." The next six years I recited, "We are daughters of a Heavenly Father who loves us and we love Him..." Each week I was reminded who I was and what that meant, but did I really understand? Elder Richard G. Scott gave this talk in 2003 about potential. He said, "With all my capacity I encourage you to discover who you really are. I invite you to look beyond the daily routine of life. I urge you to discern through the Spirit your divinely given capacities." As I read his talk, I was thinking about the importance of discovering who I really am. I know, without a doubt, that I am a Daughter of God. What does that mean for me? How does that knowledge affect my life and the choices I make everyday?

I was reading the Relief Society theme and it says, "We are beloved spirit daughters of God, and our lives have meaning, purpose, and direction." I love this. Understanding my potential as a child of God is what gives my life meaning, purpose, and direction. Our potential is limitless because of who we are and what we can become. As a child of God, we have the potential to become like Him. That is why there is no limit to our potential. 


Elder Scott went on to say, "You are of a singular generation with exceptional potential. No wonder Satan wants to cripple that potential by tempting you to violate the laws of God. He knows that he has no power over a righteous individual. Yet he is a master at making sin appealing to the undecided... Remain worthy. When you really understand who you are it is not difficult to resist Satan's temptations. Then he can't thwart the development of your true potential." Satan understands out potential and the power it has on us. He is doing everything he can to halt our progress and make us think that our potential is limited. In a sacrament meeting I attended once the speaker said something along the line of -- satan gets to good people by whispering in their ears that they aren't good enough. This has been on my mind a lot lately as I've noticed how satan works in people's lives but I know that satan can only have power over us if we allow him to. President Dieter F. Uchtdorf said, "Satan would rather that you define yourself by your sins instead of your divine potential." Satan tries to get people to feel their potential is limited and that they aren't 'good enough'. We can't let that happen to us or to anyone around us. 
It's important to remember that all of God's children have the potential to become like Him and we all need to work together to help each other succeed and remember that potential. 


As we continue to learn about our potential and what that means for us, we will grow closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ and our loving Heavenly Father. President Thomas S. Monson said, "Expand your knowledge, both intellectual and spiritual, to the fill stature of your divine potential. There is no limit to your influence for good." The more we understand and comprehend our potential, the more we will smile, say kinder words, listen closer, and live better. 



No comments: